Tuesday, September 2, 2008

L'empaquetage et les au revoirs

I am leaving in two days- TWO!!!- and I can't believe how much time has flown.  It's such a strange feeling to be getting ready to leave for Strasbourg, because this has been a long, drawn-out process, from applying to the program, dealing with all of OIP's shenanigans, finding out that I was accepted to the program, going through the visa process, and enjoying a wonderful summer with my family and friends before I leave.  It is just so surreal that, on Friday morning, I will be in Europe!  And as much as the nerves have started to build up, I keep reminding myself that I have wanted to do this for years, and that this year will open up so many new avenues for me.  
It has been really difficult, over the last few weeks, to see people change their Facebook statuses to "So-and-so is back at Georgetown," or "So-and-so loves Georgetown."  It's a hard realization to have that life goes on back on the Hilltop, despite the absence of a sizable chunk of the junior class.  Friends have been moving in to apartments and houses, reunions have taken place, parties have been had, and it's hard to reconcile that I'm not there to enjoy the same things.  As much as I am looking forward to the next year, I LOVE Georgetown more than I ever could have imagined I would (and I was so excited when it was mentioned on Gossip Girl last night!)  Amid my tear-filled SuperShuttle ride on the way back home in July, my last glimpse at the tall spires of Healy was bittersweet; on the one hand, I am going off on a wonderful adventure this year, but on the other hand, I have come to love Georgetown so much and feel so lucky for all of the amazing friends I have made there.  And plus, I got my order form for basketball season tickets in the mail last week, and I almost cried.  But my dad pointed out to me yesterday that, whenever he comes back to Georgetown, whether it is for reunion, a Hoyas Unlimited meeting, or just a sentimental journey back to campus, whenever he comes into contact with an old friend or an administrator, they always say, "Welcome home."  And that got me thinking, that, while I will miss every aspect of my life at Georgetown this year, it is home, and it will be waiting with open arms when I arrive back on campus next fall.
I'm planning on spending today and tomorrow packing, calling family and friends to say final goodbyes before I leave, reading "The Audacity of Hope" (another reason I'll miss being in D.C. this year; on Facebook yesterday, I saw an event profile for an information session for Georgetown Students for Barack Obama, and I wanted so badly to go to that meeting, to be a part of it), watching movies and my favorite American T.V. shows, going for runs around town, and enjoying my last few days of speaking exclusively English!  And my dad's birthday happens to coincide with my last night in the States, so I'm sure we'll do something fun to celebrate.  And although I'm nervous about what is ahead in France, I can't wait to see what the next chapter of my life holds!

Sending you my love,
Kristen

   

2 comments:

KingYeti/Uncle Bonché/uK said...

We love Kristen,
Yes we do.
We Love Betty Jean,
How 'bout you?
~uB

KingYeti/Uncle Bonché/uK said...

O H M Y G O S H !!!

There's no more Domestic Betty Jean. What are we stupid Americans going to do!!!

~uB