After I got over my frustration, I had a few things to attend to today. My debit card, up until today, was rejected, both at ATMs and stores, and I completely ran out of cash yesterday. Since my French bank card won't be ready for another few days, I was relying on the slim chance that my credit card would be accepted. So my dad called the credit union, and they said that when you travel to many countries (France is one, apparently), your account is automatically frozen (why, I have no idea). So they un-froze it, and now it works! Then I had to go deal with my cell phone. I had paid for a SMS card worth 50 euros, which the guy said would last for at least four months, but the card they put in my phone was probably only a 5 euro introductory card. I kept getting text messages from the company reminding me of my ever-dwindling balance, so I went in to the phone store today and asked the woman why they hadn't given me a 50 euro card. Apparently they don't actually give you a physical card after the first one, so you have to use a sheet with your secret code (the ONE sheet I hadn't brought with me) and call and recharge the card, which I did successfully. So another problem solved.
Tonight, my host mom cooked for me for the first time, since she was away all week. She made cauliflower, which I usually hate, but she baked it in with a cheese and milk sauce. I think it's sort of like the thing my mom did when I was little- just add a ton of cheese to broccoli to make it taste good (I actually like broccoli now, sans fromage)- and it worked this time as well. There was so much sauce that I could barely taste the cauliflower. She also made these pancake-like things that are apparently loaded with grains and fiber-y goodness (I did inform her that I like whole wheat bread, which she duly noted)- it's something another vegetarian student who lived with her found. I don't know if they had vegetables or something else in them, but they were pretty good. We had du pain et de la salade, and for dessert, some lemon tea (because an Asian student that lived with her told her to have hot herbal tea after dinner to help with digestion) and something called caramel aux oeufs- it's basically some sort of egg over caramel. It was actually disgusting. I didn't really eat much of it, so I'll just politely say I'm full the next time she offers it to me. Yes, it's documented, I met a dessert I don't like.
We're going on a boat tour of Strasbourg tomorrow night. I'm really excited, but I'm sort of afraid I'll freeze to death. It has been REALLY chilly here- but really, it's in the upper 40s/lower 50s, and all the New Englanders reading this will probably want to shun me after reading this- and even my winter coat, worn with a wool sweater underneath, is not proving warm enough. We were at H&M today and I almost bought another, much warmer winter coat, but as I was standing in the checkout line, I heard the voice of my shopping conscience (a.k.a. my mother, I hope she's reading this), saying, "Kristen, you don't need that. You don't have any more room in your suitcase." So I didn't buy it. I decided to stick it out for a few more days, but if I'm still freezing all the time, I'm just going to have to spring for the $60 coat. My favorite wool gloves were also MIA when I left home, so I'm really hoping those have been located. It's going to be an interesting few months, especially since my host mom just informed me that they won't turn on the heat in our building until mid-October. There will be lots of nights when I'm sleeping in 3 or 4 layers, I can just see it now.....
Sending you my love,
Kristen
5 comments:
Don't worry, he was probably just confused and thought that THE CONCERT OF EUROPE was another name for the EUROAID concert
Haha thanks Dave! Maybe they just don't call it the Concert of Europe other than in the US
I've never heard of the Concert of Europe, but I'm convinced this is why Tim/Flannigan hates the French.
They have limitations on when they can turn the heat on here too... up until last week it was HOT here but now it is cooler. I am really not sure how cold it is going to be compared to NE/DC. We will find out..
H&M in France ... H&M in Italy ... detecting a pattern here
Post a Comment