Thursday, October 9, 2008

Les meilleurs amis du monde! Et la meilleure famille du monde!

By the time I got back from Nice last weekend, I was REALLY not feeling well, and have continued to feel badly all week.  Now, this may sound crazy, and I don't know if it's medically possible, but I seriously think I have a lower body temperature than the average person (which would certainly explain why I'm always cold!).  So, even though I'm convinced I have a fever, my host mom's thermometer says my temperature is 96 degrees.  I don't understand.  I'm sitting in bed, which I have been all afternoon, and I'm sweating.  I haven't done anything strenuous today (other than run for the tram), and I don't think the heat is on in my apartment yet, so I really think I have a fever.  I'm not too pleased, because I was really hoping to log in some gym time this week (because I'm so excited about my new, American-style gym), but obviously, I don't want to over-exert myself, or I'll just end up sicker- and really, it's quite possible that I might pass out after 5 minutes on the elliptical!  So I've done a lot of lying in bed this week, which I hate!  I think some of my dad's type A personality might have rubbed off on me (I know he would be happy to hear that!), but I really can't do anything at this point, because even a 10-minute walk to class makes me feel as though I'm caught in a fiery inferno.  I guess I should count my blessings, because I really don't get sick that often, but when I do get sick, it's always an adventure.  And it doesn't help that I don't know which medications to buy, because, big surprise, they're all French brands.  I guess I need to brush up on my French medical vocabulary!  So to remedy the fever that I'm pretty sure I have, I have been opening my window, and right now, the air is really light and crisp, and it feels like fall.  God, I love crisp fall air!
One good thing that has happened this week, though, is that I've gotten a chance to get some reading done.  Now, French classes are hardly reading-heavy; your professors will give you a ridiculously long "bibliographie" of 20 or 30 books/encyclopedias/journals, but chances are that you don't have to buy any of them (unless specified, and in that case, you usually only have to buy one or two books).  I luckily don't have to buy any books for my three history classes, but I do have to buy (and read) some for my literature classes- understandably, because what would a literature class be without books?!?  So anyway, I've been surging ahead in the French children's version of Tom Sawyer for my childhood literature class, which is actually a very amusing read once you're reading it for the second time and in a new language.  Once I do that, all I have to do is write a paper, and that is my only assignment for that class for the first half of the semester.  Once I finish that, I have to start reading Aragon's Aurélien, a 600+ page hum-dinger.  This should be interesting.  Check back with me in a couple of weeks to make sure my book hasn't beaten me over the head...
I guess I shouldn't have said that only one good thing happened this week, because several things have.  This week has been especially Skype-heavy, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Now that I have my webcam, it doesn't feel like I'm half a world away from my family and friends.  Tim has his alumni interview for Georgetown today, with the same woman I had my interview with, and I'm so excited for him!!!  I want him to be a Hoya so badly, so we can share one more year at the same school.  Maybe he would let me drag him out of bed early a couple off Saturday mornings for basketball games, and he could come over for dinner when the thought of eating yet another Leo's meal becomes unfathomable.  I have no qualms posting this here, because I am 99.9% sure that he has never laid eyes on this blog!  Obviously, I know that he could be happy just about anywhere, but I REALLY want him to come to Georgetown!!!  I'm crossing my fingers for him big time, and hope so much that he gets in early.  Of course, I love hearing what's going on with my parents, and, as much as they assure me that nothing is going on in Longmeadow (which I don't doubt), it's still so nice to hear their voices.  Also, this week, I've gotten a chance to talk to Lauren, Molly, Alexandra, and Josh, and then I'm talking with Allie tonight and Kristin and Kate tomorrow.  The first few times I talked to my friends, it was really hard not being able to see them, but, once again, thank God for technology!!!  To be able to talk face-to-face is such a blessing, and I feel so lucky to have such an amazing Internet connection.  And obviously nothing would compare to being able to see all of those people in person, but if I had to choose between Skyping and no communication at all, I would, of course, choose Skyping.  
Also, one of my friends (who shall remain nameless- but I think it's a pretty easy guess for those of you who know them!) sent me a HUGE care package today full of Halloween candy and decorations, American magazines, and chick flicks, and I started crying.  I felt so loved, and, although I knew it before, I really realized how lucky I am to have such amazing friends.  And while I still have a lot of adventures in store for me this year, I cannot wait to be back at Georgetown senior year, in our apartment, celebrating birthdays and holidays, having movie nights, Tombs take-out nights, going to basketball games, and enjoying our last few months before striking out into the real world.  Thank you so much to all of you who have been sending emails, Facebook messages and have been Skyping with me- you all mean so much to me, and I don't know what I would do without you!
I am currently planning a trip for our Toussaint vacation, which starts in two weeks.  I think that at this point, my plan is to trek across Switzerland and then swing down to Florence to visit Kate (although this plan may be too lofty for my checkbook!), because I have 11 or 12 days off, so I would really love to take advantage of it- especially since, after having been to Switzerland once, I WANT MORE!!!  I hope all is well with all of you, and I will see you (or talk to you) soon!

Sending you my love,
Kristen

6 comments:

Kate said...

I agree wholeheartedly about friends and next year... nothing like the Atlantic Ocean to make you appreciate people at home!

And I will have to share my guess on the unnamed friend tonight. Talk to you then! :-)

KingYeti/Uncle Bonché/uK said...

Der Schwiez. You'll go and not want to come back.

Christine McCutcheon said...

Kristen,

You don't know me, I'm a good friend of Kate's grandparents and have spent several June weeks in Ashland with her.

Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying reading about your experiences and vicariously enjoying the time you and Kate are having in your separate countries. Am also following Hilary's Russia experiences.

Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Chris

Christine McCutcheon said...

Kristen,

Hi, you don't know me, but I'm good friends with Kate's grandparents and have spent several weeks in Ashland with her. Just want to let you know how much I'm enjoying hearing about your adventures and vicariously enjoying your experiences.

Chris McCutcheon

Kristen said...

Hi Christine,

I'm so glad you have enjoyed reading my blog! It is my pleasure to share all of the amazing experiences that I feel so lucky to have had so far! I know that Kate is having all sorts of wonderful adventures too, and I'm actually going to visit her in a few weeks, so I will have lots of new travel updates soon!

Kristen said...

Yeah, Der Schweiz. I was in Basel for less than 24 hours over a two-day period, and that was part of the reason that I wanted to go back to Switzerland. If you don't hear from me for awhile, it's because I decided to skip school and stay there for awhile!!!