Thursday, November 27, 2008

Ce dont je remercie...

Well, it's Turkey Day, a true celebration of what Americans do best...that would be eating and watching football.  In France, Thanksgiving is just like any other day, because Americans really ARE the only ones who celebrate it.  So I had class this morning from 9-11:30 (it was pretty rough getting up for that one, since there is less and less light when I get up in the morning), then stopped in at Café Brant for some hot chocolate and a chance to do a little bit of fiction writing, and went to the gym.  Today was the first day since I've been here that I didn't actually want to go to the gym, but I'm really glad I forced myself to go, because I had a pretty good workout.  And I only have two weeks' worth of workouts left, since the final week will be exam/hell week (plus, payment is due on the 15th of every month, which falls right smack dab in the middle of exam week), so I figure that I may as well get in all of workouts that I can now.  

Tonight, the entire Georgetown group (minus Meghan, who went home to London for Thanksgiving), our host families, and even an actual family (Meg's parents and grandma came over from Virginia) got together at a really nice restaurant downtown and had a really good Thanksgiving dinner, courtesy of Georgetown (there are actually perks to paying them as much as we do to go abroad, because they give certain things back to us! Like paying for trips and nice dinners like these!).  It was really nice to get the whole group together, and we even got served actual Thanksgiving food (obviously not prepared exactly as it would be in the US, but a valiant effort nonetheless).  If we couldn't be at home for Thanksgiving with our own families, it was nice to be able to spend it with our study abroad families.  And when I got home after walking off my dinner, my host mom came into my room and gave me a gift, saying that she had thought that Thanksgiving was like Christmas and that you were supposed to get presents for people.  She got me a cookbook of Alsatian cakes/pastries, because she knows I'm a baking fiend, and I can't wait to try out some of the recipes!!! So basically, I love my host mom, she is absolutely amazing!  And while I really miss my own family, living with her has been really wonderful- I don't know how I would have survived if I lived in one of the student apartments.  I like the structure of living with a family, and someone to talk about your day with over dinner.  So I am so thankful to have had this wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with my study abroad family.

Some other things I am thankful for:
- Obviously, my real family.  I got a chance to Skype with them (even Grammy and, most shockingly,  Grampsy!!!!!!!!), and the power of the Internet makes me feel as though I'm NOT thousands of miles away.  I feel so lucky that they've made the sacrifices they've made for me so that I can have this unforgettable study abroad experience, and, while I miss them so much, I wouldn't trade these experiences and adventures for anything.  And I just have to add that Skyping with my grandparents was pretty much the funniest experience of my life... they don't have a computer at their house, so this was their first shot at Skype.  I talked to Grampsy only briefly, but the fact that he even got anywhere close to the computer to talk to me made me feel pretty darn special.  And Grammy, well, if you know my Grammy, she is an absolute peach, and a complete riot.  I love seeing her in person, because I know how to push her buttons.  Whenever she'll laugh at something, I'll start laughing at it too, because I know that it will send her into a fit of laughter so extreme that she starts to wheeze.  She has picked up on the fact that I just do this to make her laugh, but I still do it anyway.  So anyway, when I Skyped with her last night, neither of our webcams were working, so she was saying to my mom, "Nancy, how does this work?  Why can't I see her?"  All the while, I could hear my mom telling her that she didn't have the headphones on right.  Grammy is also very fascinated by the simple pleasures of technology, which is an absolute hoot.  For example, she told me that yesterday, my mom taught her how to copy and paste, so that she can send only the parts of her chain emails that she wants to send, not all of the extra information that makes them ten million miles long.  I just had to chuckle.  So yes, I am oh so grateful for my family.
*My mom: She has really tried very hard to accept the fact that I am an emotional person, which she has been doing pretty well with.  Also, she sends me things :)
* My dad: He is the only one in my immediate family who truly understands what I'm missing at Georgetown, because he's been at Georgetown.  But something he told me is that Georgetown truly is home, so when I get back, it will be waiting with open arms for me.  
* Tim: I don't get to talk to him that often, and when I do, I often get grunts and monosyllabic answers (oh, seventeen year-old boys!), but every so often, we'll have a really good conversation.  That's when I realize how much I miss him.  I'll also be walking down the street and will see something that I know would make him laugh or say, "I hate the French."  It bothers me how ignorant he is about the French, but it's also kind of funny sometimes!  I'm crossing my fingers big time that he gets into Georgetown...
*Grammy and Grampsy: Even if I only get to see them once every few months, I know that they are only a phone call away when I'm at home or at school.  I think my relationships with both of them have gotten better over time, to the point where, right now, I can't imagine my life without them.
*Uncle Kevin/Bonche/King of the Yeti: He sent me a webcam, for which I am eternally grateful.  And every time I talk to him, he always messes with me, which I love (usually it's about Georgetown basketball or the Red Sox)
*The Crockett and Tignor families: I got an e-card from Aunt Susan and Uncle Tom yesterday for Thanksgiving, and I'm not going to lie, I was really happy to get it.  They all seem so interested in hearing what's going on over here.  And of course I miss my cousins, especially Amy and Michael (the latter of whom is in Patagonia right now!!!)
*The Bonanno clan: I secretly look forward to big family parties at the Kingham-Bez house, now that the family is expanding and a lot of my cousins are having kids.  It makes me so happy that, even though PopPop and Ma are no longer with us, we can still all get together and genuinely enjoy each other's company.  I can't wait to see all of them over Christmas!  I think a lot of my ideas about what I want my future family to be like come from spending so many holidays with my dad's family: lots of kids who all reconvene over holidays and just pick up where they left off.  And you couldn't ask for a more loving bunch!

- My friends.  Being abroad has only made me realize more what incredible friends I have.  Whether it's just checking in via Skype, sending me Boston-themed postcards (Alexandra), letters (Molly), Georgetown basketball paraphernalia (Allie), just sending me a quick email or a Facebook message to let me know that they're thinking about me (Lauren), filling me in on basketball games (Liz, Maggie, and AMC), reminding me of how awesome this summer was (Josh, Chris, and Kristin), fighting with me over the Red Sox and Yankees (GO SOX!) (Kevin),  or grabbing an extra Georgetown basketball t-shirt for me at their Italian Thanksgiving dinner (Kate!), they constantly remind me how much they care about me, and I love them all for that.  I can't wait to be reunited with all of them, whether it be over Christmas break or next fall at Georgetown.  I also feel really fortunate for the friends I've made in Strasbourg, the girls from the Georgetown program and also the amazing Holy Cross girls that I've become pretty good friends with.

- Good health.  I feel incredibly fortunate because, knock on wood, everyone in my family and among my friends is currently in good health.  I know that that is not something to be taken for granted, and it is one of the things I give the most thanks for.

- My experience in France.  Yes, really.  I know that I have been complaining a lot lately about France, but this is almost exclusively in conjunction with school.  I still love this country, (most of) its people, and Strasbourg's location is optimal for traveling, which I feel so lucky to have been able to do.  Because, as I have said to so many people, what you learn in the classroom is fine, but traveling is really where you get your most interesting experiences and the memories that leave the greatest impact on you.  I feel so lucky that I am able to spend a year in Europe, when there are so many others who can only dream of doing the same thing.  

- The fact that I'm going home very soon (24 days from today, since it's 12:15 in the morning already!).  I can't wait to be in my own house, sleep in my own bed, and, of course, see my family.  I know that this holiday season will be a time of unparalleled excitement, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.  Among my friends who are staying abroad for a year,  very few of them are going home for Christmas, so, although at times I wish the Ireland trip had worked out, I can't wait to be home.

- My host mom.  I know it can't be easy opening your home to a virtual stranger for a semester, but my host mom has been incredible.  She cooks me amazing vegetarian food, and I have really felt like we've learned a little bit more about each other and have interesting conversation every day.  For instance, last night she was asking me about the American presidents, because she didn't know: who the first and second American presidents were, what number president Lincoln was, and what number Obama was (in case you were wondering, I answered all three questions correctly: Washington, Adams, 16, 44).  She was so interested that she asked me to send her a list of the American presidents.  And I recently learned that English was the first foreign language she learned.  She is originally from Brazil, and moved here years ago, and I guess I just assumed that she only spoke Portuguese and French, but apparently she speaks at least a little bit of English too.  It's really fun to learn more about each other as time goes on. 

- The Internet.  You think I'm kidding?  Skype has been an absolute lifesaver this semester- I honestly don't know what I would have done without it.  It really makes the world seem a lot smaller when you can talk to someone who is halfway across the world, and it has really helped me to stay in touch with family and friends, so I am grateful for the amazing Internet connection in my host mom's apartment.

- The fact that Barack Obama will be my president, and also the fact that Sarah Palin is nowhere near the White House (at least for the time being)

- Café Brant.  Enough said.

- Free Fitness.  Even though the really bitchy lady works there and makes me pay for a lock for my bag.  I don't know what I would do without my gym.

-Surfthechannel: Having the ability to watch TV episodes online has saved my life, because you can only work for so long before you need a study break!

I am dead tired and can't write any more right now.  But I'll fill you in on what else has been going on (lots of exciting developments!) soon, hopefully tomorrow.  But in the meantime, I wish you all a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING, and, as always, I'm sending you my love!

Kristen

No comments: